Tuesday 17 September 2013

My New Happy Sewing Place...

It has been too long since my last post....what can I say, the world of upcycling furniture and wallpapering has consumed me for far too long! But hopefully, the pictures of my new sewing room will be worth the wait.

I live in a lovely semi-detatched with 4 bedrooms, one of which is a sizeable loft bedroom. When we moved in a few years ago, we decided to make the bedroom into a guest room complete with double bed, beautiful red glass drawers and bedside lamps....the only problem was that it lacked character and was only really used a) a few times a year when guests came to visit, and b) as a second lounge in the winter!

We have 2 small bedrooms on the middle floor of the house and I have been using the smallest of those as my craft/sewing room for a few years now. The problem with having craft as a hobby (not that I would openly admit to said problem) is that the materials for each job take up a lot of space. I found that those materials gradually ended up scattered all over the house, to the point where my husband (long suffering) decided that enough was enough and I simply had to have a bigger space. Hurrah!

We then embarked upon what can only be described as an epic journey which involved paint, sandpaper and lots of white spirit with a few painful injuries along the way. Whilst I would class myself as being 'good with my hands' (no pun intended) and can probably turn my hand to most crafts requiring a steady hand - this does not, it seems, translate into being a good painter and decorator. No matter how much my husband and I try to get a neat cutting in line, it just doesn't happen! I grew up in a family where dad did all the jobs around the house himself, being in the joinery trade it just seemed to come naturally to him, and paying someone to decorate or change light fittings was simply not the ' done thing'. Hence I really try to do home improvements myself....with a little help from my other half.

After what seemed like an age, we have finally finished what I hope will be my happiest sewing place yet! Here are some piccies. Let me know what you think!

Emma x



 I planned the room around the centre island which was made from two upcycled cupboards (previously bright blue!) and a bought worktop. The idea is that I can do my pattern cutting and fabric cutting on the island and avoid having to use the floor!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely space! I love how relaxing it is. I'm about to move and I hope I have enough room to make something half that nice. Hello from a new fan, Cory www.coryographies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great space to work in. Enjoy! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete