Tuesday 29 January 2013

Wedding Crafts | Seed Packet Favours

I was on form last weekend with wedding planning so I have enough time for another blog post....on favours! I struggled to decide what to do for favours....the OH couldn't understand why we needed to bother but for me it was just another excuse to make something craft related! (As if I need an excuse)

There is so much choice out there for favours. If tradition is your thing then sugared almonds could be given to each guest in a small organza bag. I don't particularly like almonds and wanted something a little different so I did some research and found an abundance of brilliant DIY ideas. Some of my favourite came from Martha Stewart's wedding website which  has regular features on favours. Check out the Spring, Summer, Winter sections in particular as this may determine what you choose. Bear in mind that if you want ideas from America you should omit the 'u' from 'Favor' when searching! The website is quite generous with free printables for a few ideas, here is my round up of the best...



Favour ideas...

Marshmallow love knot
Love sonnet boxes - fill with sweets or chocolates

 
Seed match books


I think that packaging is an important part of creating a successful favour and the love sonnet boxes are a perfect example of this. Realistically it doesn't matter what is inside since this homemade box is so impressive. It would be easy to print or photocopy love sonnets or an alterative might be to use sheet music. Time to search for those old piano books folks! They might come in handy after all.


I also love the idea of giving cute pots of honey. Growing up, my dad always brought home proper Lancashire honey from a local bee keeper and I still to this day love a good cuppa with a dollop of the sweet stuff! It would be easy to replicate this idea on a budget by sourcing cheap small jars (Ikea?) and filling with honey bought in bulk. Wrap each jar in tissue paper coordinating with your colour scheme and finish off with some ribbon or twine and maybe a personalised label. There are lots of talented people making personalised labels on eBay or Etsy these days.



After doing a lot of research I decided that seed packets were my favourite idea so I set to work sourcing packets (not easy!) and of course seeds. I am pleased to report that I managed to make around 50 favours for the unbelievable price of £10....how you ask?! First step- source the packets.

Pintsize pots of honey!












I initially wanted to find small vintage brown envelopes but all I could find were the 'dinner money' envelopes. Being an impatient person I quickly moved onto a different type of envelope to hold the seeds. I found this picture, again on Martha Stewart's website, which I fell in love with instantly. The simplicity of a glassine envelope beautifully stitched onto some card was exactly what I was looking for. 


 
Sweet Pea seeds
I found some glassine envelopes on eBay (my go to place whenever I am searching for something specific) which cost around £2.00 for 50. I think in actual fact they are stamp collectors envelopes but they work brilliantly for holding seeds as they are so delicate.

Seeds...

When deciding on what seeds to fill your packets with you should choose something which represents you and your other half (here is the cheesy bit, be warned!) as it is your special day and a celebration of your love. I went with Forget Me Not seeds as this riot of blue flowers will hopefully mean our guests will remember our special day in years to come. You could also try Sweet Pea, a Wild Flower mix, or your own personal favourite.
One word of advice though...Forget Me Not seeds are a lot tinier than I gave thought to! I ordered 3000 seeds to fill 50 glassine bags and although this works out at around 60 seeds per person. When they arrived I was shocked at how tiny the seeds are and it was impossible to count them out so a bit of guess work was involved. It may be that you decide to order a larger seed which will look a bit bulkier in the envelope.
Here is the final result. I created a front and back label complete with planting instructions which I then printed onto recycled brown card stock. The fun part was sewing it all together on the sewing machine with a pretty ribbon to finish it off.

More wedding crafts next week.....vintage suitcases and photobooth props to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment